- September 15, 2019 at 12:58 am
Okay! so I have figured out why my phone was not registering – the reason behind was because instead of selecting the whole information as it is, It was only catching the original extension.
For example: On “user device”, I was only selecting extension “500” instead of copy the name as
“T2_Company500” Once I have copied and pasted, bam!! – it worked like a charm.
Thank you for your input. 🙂
This is new in asterisk, I used to put the extension + the password for the device and bam everything works. Nonetheless, this is a good thing for authentication attempts when perpetrators try to match extension/password to hack the system – using the only the extension won’t be enough.0