911 Emergency CID Override

VitalPBX Community Support General Discussion 911 Emergency CID Override

Up
Down
    Participant

Hi, I’ve tried a couple methods of overriding the CID on 911 outbound calls. I’m testing with Voip.ms using their e911 test number (555-555-0911). Here’s what I’ve tried:

• Setting 5555550911 in the Emergency routes
    • Adding an outbound route with Intra-Company set to Yes, adding 5555550911 as the dial pattern

But no matter what I try the outbound caller ID still comes through as whatever the extension’s external CID is set to. Is there a way to override the external CID when dialing an emergency number?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replies

The outbound route is never reach when you call to an emergency number, due this module is like an outbound route for emergency numbers.

In other hand, we can add the setting to override caller ID in the emergency numbers module.

linucksvitalpbx
    Participant

That would be perfect for what I’m trying to do. While you’re implementing that feature though, I know some people have requested that the overridden caller ID can be set by the dialing extension, because there may be multiple facilities at different locations and setting the correct CID is necessary for emergency services to determine the correct location. Having one emergency CID override works for me, but wouldn’t work for anyone with multiple sites. Or is there any other way to accomplish this in the meantime?

Where can I find the source code in case I was interested in contributing to this feature?

May you expand your request about override cid with multiple sites?  The other locations have their own PBX? there are shared extensions on this scenario?

Where can I find the source code in case I was interested in contributing to this feature?

VitalPBX is free but not open source.

linucksvitalpbx
    Participant

I’m not exactly sure I understand how things would be configured for multiple sites, but I believe the scenario would be that there is one PBX with multiple sets of extensions at different sites. For example, extensions 701-750 are located in California, and 751-800 are located in Florida. When calling the emergency number from the first extension range, it should set the CID to the main office number of the California building so that emergency dispatch can determine the location in case they need to send an ambulance/fire truck, etc. They would need a way to set California’s CID when calling from 701-750, but set Florida’s CID when calling from 751-800.

VitalPBX is free but not open source.

Thanks, that answers that 🙂

So to be clear, there is currently no way to accomplish CID overrides, even if I choose not to use the Emergency Numbers module but instead just want to use Outbound Routes or something else?

Thanks for your explanation about emergency call with multiple sites.

So to be clear, there is currently no way to accomplish CID overrides, even if I choose not to use the Emergency Numbers module but instead just want to use Outbound Routes or something else?

No, by now there’s no way to override CID, but, don’t worry, we will add those features for the next version.

linucksvitalpbx
    Participant

That sounds great! It will be nice to have an easy way to accomplish that, since it’s such an important feature that seems to get overlooked too often.

In the latest version of VitalPBX there is a new field in the extensions module that allows you to setup the emergency cid number. 

You may use the Bulk modifications module to assign a emergency cid to multiple extensions massively.

linucksvitalpbx
    Participant

That is awesome. Thank you mrivera! I’ll check it out when I get some time.

errandwolfe
    Participant

I could use a little assistance with this…I have done as specified, setting the CID for emergency calls at the user level. The problem I am having is all my calls to the test number 555-555-0911 fail, giving me a fast busy. Do I need to setup any special outgoing rules or such to use this number?

@errandwolfe You must to setup your emergency numbers in the “Emergency Numbers” module, also, you must to setup here the trunks that will be used to route the emergency calls.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.