End Pont Manager with out port 80

VitalPBX Community Support General Discussion End Pont Manager with out port 80

Participant

I changed the system from port 80 to a obscure port and firewalled port 80, (stand alone firewall in front of pbx) the gui works fine but I can not provision phones unless I open port 80, I tried adding http://YOUR-SERVER-IP/xepm-provision:XXXX but it did not work. system is hosted so phones are remote with dynamic IP’s is the EPM locked to port 80/443

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replies
    Up
    Down

If you change the port, you must use:  http://YOUR-SERVER-IP:YOUR-NEW-PORT/xepm-provision

Gary
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just had a very big supprise, i put that string into a browser followed by a mac address and the config file was displayed, this leaves the system wide open. Is there a secturity setting I have not enabled.

Up
    Down

Actually, it only shows the config if you put the right mac address, so, an attacker must know your phone’s mac address for vulnerate your system.

On the RC version, we’re including a fail2ban filter to avoid brute force attacks to the provisioning URL.

https://vitalpbx.org/en/vitalpbx-2-3-9-rc/

Gary
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That will help but mac addresses from the same vendor do not vary much maybe last 6 characters

Up
    Down

We are looking for an stronger solution. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

InTeleSync
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    Adding in some simple AuthConfig with apasswords would also be a tremendous security improvement, along with the fail2ban filter.
    Up
    Down

@admin-2529

Thanks for the suggestion

MattRaz
    Participant
    none
    Up
    Down
    My existing provider has a provisioning lock process, where they lock the provisioning after 15 minutes so SIP Username and Password are no longer sent to the phone… If we need to update the U/P settings on a phone, we need to login to the portal and unlock provisioning which gives us 15 minutes to auto-provision/reboot the handset to receive U/P settings. Other info still auto-provisions daily as normal.

Although they have also managed to completely avoid having info public.. Haven’t worked out how they do that but it looks like they may run their own provisioning server. If you try browse to http://provisioning.XXXXXXX.co.uk/ it comes up with a message saying you can not visit the provisioning server using a standard browser and “Only VoIP devices can access this area.”.. If you add the /Yealink/mac.cfg to the end you just get a blank page and no provisioning info…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    mo10
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    @mattraz

What are you trying to say with your post? Is this a suggestion?

fyi:
    The VitalPBX devs already implemented a function which should identify bruteforce attacks via provisioning.

But sure, more security can not be bad.

MattRaz
    Participant
    none
    Up
    Down
    The first paragraph is a VPBX suggestion, the 2nd is just information.. considering all the great work already put into VPBX this seems a simple task for the guys to implement.

Yes i know they have but avoiding brute force attacks is not enough. Anyone malicious with access to the site can obtain a MAC address from the back of the phone and it’s not difficult to find out what server that phone is connected to without even gaining access to the phone’s config page.. Even a simple arp -a will give you the MAC address let alone a MITMA…  It wouldn’t take long to add this info together and get ALL details to connect to that SIP user and make malicious calls..

As a Hosted Multi-Tenant provider and not a single on-site system end user/customer this is a bit scary as we have limited ways to stop people from accessing the customer’s building / LAN /WiFi.. Let alone anyone external who manages to access the network via the WAN.. (some sites have very basic LAN/WAN CPE)

SIP credentials are far too risky to leave out in the wild and hope no-one will find the MAC…

We do have daily call spend limits at network level with notifications to mitigate the issue a bit but this is a pain to manage and isn’t bulletproof…

Would love to hear any suggestions to get around this.. (ideally keeping things simple that fits for all customers..)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.