Feature Code to Re-Record IVR Message

VitalPBX Community Support General Discussion Feature Code to Re-Record IVR Message

Participant
    Is there  any way yet for me to provide a feature code to the user that will let them re-record the sound files used for their IVR menus?  In FreePBX this is done by allowing each recording to have its own custom feature code — is there some way for me to make this happen for VitalPBX?

I would setting for being able to set up an IVR that could have options to do the same without needing it to be a feature code – just some way for the user to update a recording used by the phone system where they don’t have to log in to the Web Portal.

If this is not yet supported I would strongly urge that something be added to make it possible.  It is one of the most common needs of our clients, who inquire “How can I update the message on our phone tree?”  Up to switching to VitalPBX I could simply give them either an IVR that would let them do this or supply a set of feature codes — now I seem to be out of luck having switching to this great product.

Thanks,

-Michael

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replies
    mdmoore
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    Update: This can be done.

I was able to use a custom context to create an extension to trigger recording of a hard-wired path for each of the sound files my client uses.  This necessitated my examining by hand the sound file’s ultimate filepath generated when it was first created.  This means i have custom code that is utterly specific to the sound file written by hand – but it does give me what I needed for our client.

NOTE:  Sound filepaths generated by vitalpbx end up being transformed into something that looks similar to this

• /var/lib/vitalpbx/static/adab0e81ba1914f7/recordings/e4da3b7fbbce2345d7772b0674a318d5.wav

I eagerly await a means of associating a re-record feature that works via feature code or similar so that it can be used by clients outside the tenant admin portal.  Until then, this is the only means of doing this that I can come up with.  If anyone has a better way – I would love to know of, and learn from, it.

-Michael

Rodrigo Cuadra
    Keymaster
    US
    Up
    Down
    In SETTINGS/Voice Prompts/Recording Management you can upload the recording again just by pressing the Edit Button, you can even record it again from the phone with just pressing the Record by Phone button.

It is not necessary to use a feature code, since this will limit the recording only from the phone.

mdmoore
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    Hi Rodrigo,

I love the support for managing recordings in the portal, my issue is that I have many clients who are not using the portal but just want to record the message easily using just the phone.

For example today I put feature in ivr to dial 3000 to record a new version of the sound file that was the ivr instruction message.   This was perfect for the woman who answers the phones and does not use the portal.   She was able to just dial that hidden ivr option and Bam! the IVR instructions were now her recorded message instead of the default Google tts sound file i had primed the IVR with.

I am a very familiar with FreePBX and core asterisk and feature codes to record messages like this are, I promise, a very common and desired thing that both environments can easily support.

I am leading the charge to use VitalPBX for our customers so they will have the portal and the Vixti client and all the benefits your product makes possible    I am very keen to see VitalPBX replace both types of environments but I need your help to see why feature codes to record sound files are a feature VitalPBX should provide.

As I said I can do so by hard wiring the sound file path as is, but that is unwieldy and requires client specific custom code every time I do an IVR.  This I am willing to do short term but only if I know that at some point V.PBX will add the feature to its repertoire.

What do you think?  Can younsee adding this at some future date?  I would point out that just about every other system out there offers similar capability.

Thanks for responding and hearing me out my friend.  It is a great product you are making and I truly am a fan.

Sincerely,

-Michael Moore (RDI CityVoIP)

Yumy
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    i would love to see this in a future update.
    oakie22
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    I don’t see a way to create a new recording, from scratch, using a phone.

I uploaded ‘Light My Fire’ by The Doors and then immediately replaced it with my spoken words, by use of ‘record by phone’.  I may have overlooked something, but it seems that one must begin with an uploaded file.

Rodrigo Cuadra
    Keymaster
    US
    Up
    Down
    In SETTINGS/Voice Prompts/Recording Management you can upload the recording again just by pressing the Edit Button, you can even record it again from the phone with just pressing the Record by Phone button.

It is not necessary to use a feature code, since this will limit the recording only from the phone.

mo10
    none
    Up
    Down
    In SETTINGS/Voice Prompts/Recording Management you can upload the recording again just by pressing the Edit Button, you can even record it again from the phone with just pressing the Record by Phone button. It is not necessary to use a feature code, since this will limit the recording only from the phone.

Rodrigo,

as Michael said before: those are all really cool features BUT it would be awesome if you could implement a code that someone would be able to dial to overwrite that file.
    calling a number like *222*7347509384 would be totally fine for that since it could be added in phonebook or as speedial.
    Since you use IDs for the recordings already it should not be hard to do

This number would tell you to record your message after the tone and then press the pound key.
    It should then playback the recording and ask:
    “Would you like to keep this recording press 1”, “re record press 2”, or “Cancel press 3”.

Who is with us on this?

kbohannon
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    I have a few clients whose business’s office hours change due to severe weather. The process for us is as you can imagine. They send me a recording, I use Audacity to clean it up, upload it to Recordings, and then reconfigure the IVR.

I agree. VitalPBX got me out of Kerio hell, and I love it. I also have some suggestions that I hope get implemented, but this particular one would be very useful.

Kerry Bohannon
    Amicus Voice, LLC

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.