Lost ssh access

VitalPBX Community Support General Discussion Lost ssh access

Participant

Love VitalPBX!

All working beautifully except I have today found I can no longer connect via ssh. My admin password is rejected each time.

From the web interface I then created a 2nd administrative user and password and tried that, but same problem happens.

My desktop machine’s IP is not banned in VitalPBX.

I rebooted my desktop just in case it was the problem, but still can’t connect.

I even turned off the VitalPBX firewall for a minute to test. And also did a reboot of the VitalPBX server.  But I still can’t log in with ssh.

I can certainly ssh to other machines on the network so its evidently not a router problem.

Anyone have a thought about why this may be happening? I have never had this happen before.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    Up
    Down

Did you receive any error from your SSH client?

What it changed? Did you make any change before the SSH stop to work?

tonywhelan
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hi Jose,

only error was “Permission denied, please try again”. My password is correct however.

I haven’t changed anything on the PBX for quite a while.

I’ve tried to ssh to the PBX from another desktop machine, but same problem happens.

I did wonder if the last lot of updates may have affected something.

It’s not a crisis, I don’t often need ssh. Maybe a solution  will turn up some time.

Up
    Down

This error usually occurs if PermitRootLogin is set to without-password meaning ssh keys should be used instead.

Did you change something in your SSH configurations?

tonywhelan
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Apologies, it is my error.

I had assumed that the username(s) defined in the VitalPBX GUI also existed as usernames at the operating system level. No so.

I was trying to login with “admin@192.168.x.x” instead of “root@192.168.x.x”.

The “root” login works of course.

Thank you for your assistance.

?

Up
    Down

You’re welcome

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.