I seem to be having an issue with getting my outbound CID to display I check the “overwrite CID” option to yes and then enter my number but calls still appear as anonymous or unknown. Am I missing something? My trunks are registered through Vitelity and I have several other PBX systems with this function working and able to set custom even fictitious CIDs via the PBX. Any insight or help is appreciated!
By default, it seems VitalPBX sends the “extension” as callerID.
I have tested VitalPBX with 2 providers: CheapConnect.net and VoipPlanet.nl. Cheapconnect will show the CID you have set in the CheapConnect portal.
VoipPlanet (and perhaps fieber.nl) will show NO callerid if the CID doesn’t match the CID linked with the trunk. With VoipPlanet I had to rewrite the CID using the international telephone number notation:
31NNXXXXXXX *eg. 31851234567 for Dutch number 085-1234567
I didn’t have to, but you may have to the put the “+” in front of the country number.
The nice thing about VoipPlanet I believe, is they could link several CID to your trunk, so you could choose your outbound CID if you e.g. are using one PBX for several company locations.
-This issue can be mitigated by leaving empty “From users” and “From domain” as @mrivera and myself pointed out.
On the Trunk, the parameter “From” you don’t need to add anything. That option will replace the SIP username renaming the one you have in your phone and whatnot. I have seen it in many asterisk application including CUCM.
By default, the system sends the CID you have configured on your extension. Also, you can control your outbounds via outbound rules or trunking rules besides using the extension as well. It all depends where do you want to control your outbound based on rules.
Now, Caller-ID are not controlled by VoIP providers. Providers can only control Caller-ID lookups using CNAM to lookup names callers.
Once you have registered your system via the “Register String” you will be sending outgoing calls. You can even spoof numbers that aren’t real, so I highly doubt after tweaking a bit on the provider you could’ve able to fix it. It seems to be something in your system THAT is OR not checked.
But glad you figured something out at the end of the day.