Prepend area code for local calls

VitalPBX Community Support General Discussion Prepend area code for local calls

Participant

Is there a way to prepend the area code depending on the extension? So I have extensions in Melbourne Australia (area code 03) in my outbound route I have prepend 03 for pattern NXXXXXXX but if I have extensions in Sydney (area code 02) how can I prepend the 02 to their dial out? Do I need to do that in the actual phones? I know in Asterisk I can set it in the dialplan.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    Up
    Down

The long way:

• Create 2 outbound routes (or many as you need), one for Australia, and second for Sydney
    • Create 2 route selections, one for Australia, and second for Sydney, in each route selection you must to select the right outbound route.
    • Create 2 class of services, one for Australia, and second for Sydney, on each class of service you must to select the right route selection item.
    • Finally, you must assign the right class of service to your extension devices.

Up
    Down

The short way is to define a specific call prefix as shown in the picture attached. using this method the caller must dial the prefix + the desired number.

AussieJoe
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thank you mrivera, although the simplicity of the short way is appealing it means every time a user wants to make a local call they have to dial a prefix. The long way, although a little more complex looks like it solves the problem for me. I’ll try it today.

My setup is a little more complex than just 2 locations. Actually 7 shops with 4 different cities (prefixes 03, 02, 07 and 08). I’d like each city to be able to dial local calls without having to put in a prefix. They don’t need to now, they just select a line (or 9 or 0 for a line) then dial.

Thanks again.

Joe

AussieJoe
    Participant
    Up
    Down

For anyone else wanting to get this kind of thing up and running. I followed the instructions above and it works perfectly. Rather than have duplicate entries for other numbers (international, toll free etc) I created an Outbound Route for each city, then one extra Outbound Route (OBCommon) for all of the entries common to all. Then in each city Outbound Route the Failover Destination is Outbound Routes -> OBCommon.

In the Route Selections, I have a route for each city, this then has the outbound route of the city plus the OBCommon route so that it can follow on to the common dialplan if it’s not a local number.

A class of service for each city points to the Route Selection and each Extension uses the Class of Service for its city.

Somewhat complex but seems to work.

Thanks again.

Joe

So each Class of Service then routes through its respective city 

AussieJoe
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just an update. Since version 2.3 you can now put filters into the outbound route, so instead of all the extra routes you can just put a prepend based on the extensions. For example for my Brisbane stores with extension in the 24XX and 26XX range I have: Prepend: 07 Pattern NXXXXXXX CID Pattern: 2[46]XX

This works and is even easier.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.