Restoring fax files

VitalPBX Community Support General Discussion Restoring fax files

Participant
    Up
    Down
    I used a v2.4.2-7 backup file to build a new v3.0.6-2 server. In the fax viewer, I see the fax history, but the attachements all say “fax_viewer.file_removed”. On the old server I still see the PDFs in /var/lib/vitalpbx/fax/recd/ (and /sent/). I tried syncing them over to the new server but this didn’t help. How can I restore the view of these faxes?

Kerry Bohannon
    Amicus Voice, LLC

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    kbohannon
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    I resolved it (after lots of testing and experimentation) by simply creating (in v3):

/var/lib/OMBUTEL/fax/recvd [and /sent]

and moving into it the PDFs from:

Refresh the GUI, and voila they’re visible again. I should have thought of this sooner. But what does this mean for future faxes? And couldn’t I just go into a configuration file somewhere for Hylafax and update the path from “ombutel” to “vitalpbx”?

Kerry Bohannon
    Amicus Voice, LLC

kbohannon
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    Excuse the typo. I moved the fax PDFs from

/var/lib/VITALPBX/fax/recvd [and /sent]

and moved them into it the PDFs from:

But the questino remains: how to fix this for other v2 servers I want to upgrade to v3 using the backup-restore method?

Kerry Bohannon
    Amicus Voice, LLC

Up
    Down
    I presume when migrating from old versions (VitalPBX v2)  to the newest one you must do the same procedure.
    kbohannon
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    You mean manually move the files? I can do that, since out of 24 servers only six use faxing, but I think that this would be a problem if I ever had to backup and restore again: the fax service by default now wants to use /var/lib/vitalpbx, but the files will always be in /var/lib/ombutel. Is that correct?

Kerry Bohannon
    Amicus Voice, LLC

kbohannon
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    I see now, old fax files will be visible, if they remain in /var/lib/ombutel/fax. Newer fax files will appear in /var/lib/vitalpbx.

However, the backup service will create the backup file containing the fax log, but not the actual files, from either directory. Has this been addressed elsewhere? If not, I plan on setting up a script to securely copy out the fax files to S3 as backup.

Kerry Bohannon
    Amicus Voice, LLC

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.